Sunday, July 11, 2021

Two Gentlemen of verona- Bok back answer -II

இதன்  முந்தைய பக்கம் இங்கு உள்ளது.

TENSES

Task 1

Tick the correct options and complete

the dialogue.

A: Hello. What do you watch / are you watching?

B: A programme about the Jallian Wala Bagh massacre, which I recorded last night. I study / I’m studying about it this term.

A: All that I know / I’ve known about it is that hundreds of people died / had died in it.

B: Yes, it was much, much worse than anyone has expected / had expected. It went on / has gone on for hours. Doyou want / Have you wanted to watch the programme with me?

A: No, thanks. I’ve got to do some veena practice. I’ve just remembered / I just remembered that we’ve got a concert tomorrow, and I don’t have / haven’t had time to practise my new piece this week.

B: OK. I’ve already done / I already did my practice, so I’ve got time to watch TV. See you later.

Task 2 Complete the sentences with the correct tense form of the verbs in brackets.

a.(tell) me exactly what (happen) last night!
Tell me exactly what happened last night.

b. Mrs. Mageswari is my Maths teacher. She (teach) me for four years.
Mrs. Mageswari is my maths teacher She has been teaching me for four years.

c.I (never /think) of a career ¡n medicine before I spoke to my Biology teacher but now I (seriously! consider) it.
I had never thought of a career in medicine before I spoke to my biology teacher but now I seriously consider it.

d. Oh no! I (forget) to bring my assignment! What am I going to do? This is the second time I (do) this!
Oh no I forgot to bring my assignment! what am I going to do? This is the second time I am doing this.

e.I can’t remember what my teacher (say) yesterday about our homework. I (not listen) properly because Hussain (talk) to me at the same time.
I can’t remember what my teacher said yesterday about our homework. I did not listen properly because Hussian was talking to me at the same time.

f.Last year we (go) on a school trip to Kanyakumari. We (have) a very interesting time.
Last year we went on a school trip to Kanyakumari. We had a very interesting time.

g. At the moment I (think) about what course to pursue next year but I (not make) a final decision yet.
At the moment I am thinking about what course to pursue next year but I have not made a final decision yet.

h.I (get) up at 7 every morning but this morning I (sleep) for a long time and I (not get) up until 8.
I get up at 7 every morning but this morning I slept for a long time and I did not get up until 8.

Task 3

Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the verbs given in the brackets.

 a. Everyone _________ when the earthquake hit the small town. (sleep)
was sleeping

b. Evangeline _______ her job a couple of years ago. (quit)
quit

c. Where ___________ your last holidays? (you spend)
did you spend

d.I think Suresh _________ for Tiruvallur next morning. (leave)
  will leave

 e. I was angry that I _______ such a mistake (make).
   had made

 f. My mother was tired yesterday because she __________ well the night before (not sleep).
  did not sleep

 g. Her parents ___________ in Coimbatore for two weeks from today (be).
   have been

 h. Nothing much ________ when I got to the meeting (happen).
   had happened

 i. Scientists predict that by 2050, man ________ on Mars. (land)
   will land

 j. Sh! Someone ___________ to our conversation! (listen)
  is listening

 k. The plane ________ off in a few minutes. (take)
  will take

 l. They _________ about me when I interrupted their conversation. (talk)
 were talking

 m. Justin and his parents _________ in an apartment right now because they can’t find a cheap house. (live)
 are living

 n. Rajini Prem’s family _________ in Chengalpet now. (be)
    is
 o. Yusuf_________ to the movies once in a while. (go)
     goes

 p. This _________ an easy quiz so far (be).
    has been

 q. Our team _________ any games last year. (not win)
    did not win

 r. We _________ a wonderful film at the cinema last night. (see)
  saw

 s. Hurry up! The movie ________ (already begin)
   has already begun.


ANSWERS:

TASK-1                    TASK-2                                                 

a. must                           must/ought to

b. dare/can                     would

c. will                             will

d. shall                           may

e. would                         must

f. could                           used to

g. should/must                 must

h. need                            might

i. must                             must

j. must                             will

k. could                           need

l. could                           would

m. can, cannot                 

n. would

o. used to / would

 

Reported Speech:

Task 1:
Read what these people say and rewrite as sentences: (Text Book Page No. 15)underlines

1.I am very busy.
Raja said that he was very busy.

2. I have completed my work.
Satya said that he had completed his work.

3.I don’t like to go out.
Johnson said that he didn’t like to go out.

4. I have just come back from Chennai.
Akshita said that she had just come back from Chennai.

5. I am learning English.
Jayan said that he was learning English.

6. I bought a pen yesterday.
Madhu said that she had bought a pen the previous day.

7. We will go shopping tomorrow.
Joseph and Mary said that they would go shopping the next day.

8. We can’t attend the party.
Afsar and Ayesha said that they could not attend the party.

9. How are you?
Satish asked how he was.

10. I am fine. Thank you
Victor said that he was fine and thanked him.

Task 2:
Read the following dialogue and complete the report in the space provided:

Priya: Where are you going to?
Vijay: I am going to the railway station.
Priya: Why are you going there?
Vijay: I want to receive my uncle who is coming from Bangalore.

1. Priya asked Vijay ___________
Priya asked Vijay where he was going.

2. Vijay replied __________
Vijay replied that he was going to the railway station.

3. Priya further inquired ___________
Priya further enquired why he was going there.

4. Vijay stated that ___________
Vijay stated that he wanted to receive his uncle who was coming from Bangalore.

b) Teacher: Why are you late?
Divya: I missed the bus.
Teacher: You should have reached the bus stop on time.
Divya: My grandmother is ill. So, I had to take her to the doctor.
Teacher: I am sorry. What ails her?
Divya: She has a high fever.

 1.
The teacher asked Divya why she was late. Divya replied that (a) ________.The teacher told her that (b) _____. Divya said that her grandmother was ill so she had to take her to the doctor. The teacher felt sorry and further asked her (c) _____. Divya explained that she (c)_________ high fever.
s:
(a) She had missed the bus
(b) She should have reached the bus stop on time.
(c) what ailed her?
(d) had

Task 3:
Rewrite the following passage in indirect speech: (Text Book Page No. 16)

 1. Pradeep got out of bed with much excitement. “It is going to be a lovely sunny day,” he remarked
to his sister Varshini. “Just let me sleep a bit longer, Pradeep,” Varshini begged, “and since you are feeling so enthusiastic, “she suggested, “Why don’t you go and help a mother in cooking?” Sure, I will say Pradeep. “Can I help you, mum?’ he said to his mother. “Yes, of course. There are idlis and vadas on the dining table. Have your breakfast.” “Thank you, mum; I’ll surely help you by eating them.”
Answer
Pradeep got out of bed with much excitement. He told his sister Varshini that it was going to be a lovely sunny day. Varshini begged him to let her sleep a bit longer and since he was feeling so enthusiastic she asked him why not go and help a mother in cooking. Pradeep said that he would. He asked his mother if he could help her. The mother replied positively and added that there were idlis and vadas on the dining table and told him to have his breakfast. Pradeep thanked his mother and said that he would surely help her by eating them.

Writing:
Read the following letter carefully, discuss with your partner, and  the s:

Sir,
I request you to publish the following letter in your daily to address an important issue which needs immediate redressal.

During weekends motorcyclists are seen racing on the East Coast Road and the Old Mahabalipuram road of Chennai. The amateur racers are risking their own lives and of the public as well. They are fearless and irresponsible, not knowing the price of human lives. Risking others and their lives for their pleasure is highly condemnable.

Even school students indulge in such activities and cause fatal accidents. The racers have started
occupying the lanes and streets of busy localities. As such, the violation of traffic rules often results in the loss of young lives. Such reckless riders who violate traffic rules should be punished severely. As a responsible citizen of society, I request the authorities concerned to take appropriate measures to put an end to this menace.

Yours truly,
xxxxx.

 a) Who is the sender of the letter?
Srivastava is the sender of the letter.

 b)Who is the receiver?
The editor of a daily is the receiver.

 c)What is the issue?
Motorcycle racing is the issue.

 d)What is the request of the sender?
The request of the sender to the authorities concerned is to take appropriate measures to put an end to the motorcycle racing.

 e)Who will take steps after reading it?
The traffic police will take steps after reading it.

b) You have chosen Computer Science in the Higher Secondary Course. Write a letter to your friend giving reasons for your choice. Read the clues given in brackets to complete the letter.

Avoid those words within bracket

Dear Arjun (Greeting),

Hope you are well I would like to say that I have chosen computer science in Hr. Sec course. Firstly, I want you to help me with my future (the reason for your choice of group). I wish to become an Engineer (state your ambition). We come to hear a lot of instances of misusing social media. (discuss recent unhealthy happenings in social media and society). These have made me select the course so that after knowing the system well. I will be able to find out something to stop such things (demand or need of this profession). I have plans to pursue M.S in the US (higher studies or specialization).

All the best for your CA preparation. Convey my regards to all at home.

Yours lovingly,
(your name)

Task: (Text Book Page No. 18)
a) You had been to your Grandma’s house during the summer holidays. You enjoyed your stay in her company. Write a letter to your Grandma stating how much you miss her after returning to your home.

My dear Grandma,

I hope, you are quite well. But I am not fine here, because I miss you a lot. I enjoyed your company during my summer holidays. I feel very sad after returning to my home. I am expecting my next vacation to come. I felt very happy when I stayed with you. Take care of your health. See you on your next vacation.

Yours lovingly,
Arjun S.

Address on the envelope
To

Mrs. R.Vasantha,
No.75, West Street,
Trichy – 627032.

b) You are the head of the English department in a renowned institution. You are invited to preside over the inauguration of the English Literary club in your alma mater. Respond to the letter you have received either accepting the invitation or expressing your inability to attend the function.

From
M Ravi Kumar,
Head of the Department of English,
Joseph College of Arts and Science,
Madurai – 627035

To
The Principal,
ABC College of Arts and Science
Trichy – 620177

Sir,

Sub: Accepting your invitation – reg.

This is to kindly inform you that I have received your invitation to the inauguration of the English Literary club. I am really happy to preside over the function in my alma mater. I am sure that I will be at the function on time.
Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
M Ravikumar.

Madurai,
10.04.2020.

Address on the envelope
To

The Principal
ABC College of Arts and Science
Trichy-620177

c. Write a letter to the headmaster of your school requesting him to help you obtain a duplicate mark sheet of class XII, which you lost while traveling.

From
S. Anand,
No. 12, West Street,
Virudhunagar.

To
The Headmaster,
TCS. Hr. Sec. School,
Virudhunagar.

Sir,
Sub: Requesting to obtain a duplicate mark sheet of class XH-reg.

I would like to bring to your kind notice that I had missed my mark sheet for class XII while traveling. Therefore, I kindly request you to help me to obtain a duplicate mark sheet.

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
B. Anand.

Virudhunagar,
15.04.2020.

Address on the envelope
To

The Headmaster,
TCS. Hr. Sec. School,
Virudhunagar.

d) Write a letter to AZ Company requesting them to replace the defective juicer that you bought recently. Include the following details: the problem, date of purchase, receipt number, model, and warranty.

From
S. Rahul,
No.2, North Street,
Kovilpatti.

To
The manager,
AZ company,
Chennai-627201

Sir,

Sub: Requesting to replace the defective juicer-reg.

I would like to bring to your kind notice that I had bought a juicer in your company a week ago. Now it is not working but properly due to magnetic sensors. I have also mentioned the date of purchase and receipt number. So, kindly replace the defective juices as early as possible.
Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
S. Raghul.

Kovilpatti,
20.05.2020.

Address on the envelope

To

The manager,
AZ company,
Chennai-627201

e) You wish to become a pilot. Write a letter to a college enquiring about the details of the pilot training course offered by the college. Include the following details in your inquiry: duration of the course, fee structure, scholarships, hostel facilities, and placement details.

From
D.Kumar,
No.75, East street,
Tenkasi.

To
The principal,
ABC College of Technology,
Coimbatore.

Sir.

Sub: Enquiring about the details of the pilot training course offered-reg.
This is to inform you that I would like to know about the pilot training course offered at your college. Please let me know the duration of the course, fee structure, scholarships, hostel facilities, and placement details as soon as possible.

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
D. Kumar.

Tenkasi,
25.04.2020.

Address on the envelope

To

The principal,
ABC College of Technology,
Coimbatore.

f) Write a letter to the manager of Waves Furniture Company ordering furniture for a coaching center. Include the following details: description of the furniture, number of pieces, mode of payment, time, and delivery options.

From
S. Ramesh,
No.72, Anbu Nagar,

Palayamkottai.

To
The manager,
The waves furniture company,
Chennai.

Sir,

Sub: Ordering some furniture-reg.

We are in need of some furniture for our coaching centre. Kindly send the goods by train to the above address.   

   Items

Quantity

Chair

50 nos

Tables

10 nos

Boards

5 nos

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
S. Ramesh.

Palayamkottai,
20.06.2020.

Address on the envelope
To

The manager,
The waves furniture company,
Chennai.

g. Write an application for the post of Personal Secretary to the Managing Director of a company. Include the following details: Educational qualification, experience, various other qualifications required for the post.

From
XXX
YYY
ZZZ.

To
The Managing Director,
Software solution,
Chennai-28

Sir,

Sub: Application for the post of personal secretary -reg.

Ref: Advertisement in The Hindu dated 8th June 2020.

I read your advertisement in “The Hindu” dated 8th June 2020.1 wish to apply for the post of personal secretary. I have given below my bio-data. If I am appointed, I assure you that I will discharge my duties to your entire satisfaction.

Bio – Data

  1. Name of the applicant: xxx
  2. Residential Address: yyy
  3. Father’s name: A.Jeyaraj
  4. Date of birth and age: 27th Dec 1990
  5. Age: 28 years old
  6. Sex: Male/Female
  7. Educational Qualification: M.A. English
  8. Experience: 3 years
  9. Languages Known: Tamil, English, and Hindi
  10. Special Talent: Fluency in English, good knowledge of computer, a good athlete
  11. Salary expected: 15,000/- per month

Thanking you,

Declaration:

I, XXX hereby declare that the information which I have furnished is true to the best of my knowledge.

                                                                                                                        Yours faithfully,
Place: yyy,                                                                                                                 XXX
Date: 10.06.2020.

Address on the envelope

To

The Managing Director,
Software solution,
Chennai-28

h) Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper about the nuisance created by the roadside vendors blocking the pavements and occupying the parking zone.

From
K. Ashok,
No.7, West Mambalam st,
Villupuram.

To
The Editor,
The Indian Express,
Villupuram-27.

Sir,

Sub: Publishing the nuisance created by the roadside vendors in your newspaper -reg.

This is to bring to your kind attention that the roadside vendors are blocking the pavements and occupying the parking zone and thereby creating a nuisance to the public. So, please bring the news to the government by publishing this in your newspaper.

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,
K.Ashok.

Villupuram,
05.07.2020.

Address on the envelope

To

The Editor,
The Indian Express,
Villupuram-27.

j) Write a letter to your relative or friend who is admitted in the hospital for treatment of jaundice. Advise him/her not to worry about the illness and be positive. Assure him/her of your psychological and financial help during the crisis.

My dear Friend,

I heard that you are admitted to the hospital for the treatment of jaundice. It is only a common disease, especially in summer days. So, you take rest and always think positive which will enable you to recover from it soon. If you need any financial help, please inform me at once, so that I will help and be with you.

Yours lovingly,
Arun S

Address on the envelope
To

Mrs. M. Karthick,
No.45, North street,
Tirunelveli

WORDS

SYNONYMS

ANTONYMS

1. Shrug

raise one’s shoulders slightly

concur

2. tunic

a loose outer garment without sleeves


3. slackened

reduced

grow/increase

4. demeanor

appearance and behaviour

rudeness

5. artless

innocent

artful

6. hawk

sell things crying out loudly, going from place to place

peacemaker

7. deserted

uninhabited, unoccupied

crowded, populous

8. emigrate

take up citizenship of another country

immigrate

9. vexation

annoyance

delight, contentment

10. vestibule

lobby

wayout

11. chatter

a series of short, quick, high- pitched sounds

quiet

12. intrude

enter without permission

abandon

13. rubble

debris, broken bricks

treasure, valuable

14. glaring

staring fiercely

soft

15. destination

end, terminal

start, beginning

16. dwelling

habitat, residence

absconding

17. scarcely

rarely, seldom

frequently

18. leaped

jumped

descended

19. blink

wink of an eye, flutter

be aware

20. propped up

to support

let down

21. resemblance

similarity, affinity

contrast, difference

22. exposure

subjection, risk

safety, cover

23. starvation

malnutrition, need

supply, plenty

24. barely

scarcely, hardly

often

25. persuaded

convinced, induced

dissuaded

26. devotion

attachment, fondness

aversion, dislike

27. nobility

greatness, honor

dishonour, humiliation

28. cautious

careful

reckless

29. disapprove

criticize

approve

30. brisk

energetic / fast / quick

idle / slow

31.engaging

amicable / charming / captivating

hateful / boring

32. humble

courteous / poor / inferior

intricate / superior

33. eager

craving / anxious / enthusiastic

apathetic/unenthusiastic

34. resistance

defiance / fighting / struggle

assistance / cooperation

35. persuade

induce / prompt

dissuade / discourage

36. scarce

insufficient, deficient

frequent / adequate

37. nobility

honour / dignity / virtue

dishonour

 Click here for the Synonyms & Antonyms Test :

Two Gentlemen of Verona- Synonyms & Antonyms TEST

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tn Election Filled Forms

Tn Election Filled Forms